Wednesday, December 03, 2008

All the Latest Firsts

Noah has had several "firsts" in the last week or so, both good and not-so-good. Here's a run-down of the latest developments around our house:
  • First ear infection. This would definitely fall into the "not-so-good" category. Starting last Tuesday, Noah suddenly started waking in the middle of the night screaming and crying. This is SO unlike him. We are the luckiest parents in the world because he has slept through the night every night since he was almost 10 weeks old. So I knew something was up, but he has no other symptoms. He slept fine Wednesday night but was awake again Thursday night. Friday he slept fine again but I still decided to take him to the doctor on Saturday, and sure enough he has an ear infection in his left ear. We left with an antibiotic and the hope that things would improve. Saturday we had another good night's sleep, but Sunday and Monday were rough again. Yesterday I called the doctor and they switched him to a stronger antibiotic and prescribed some numbing ear drops. Last night he slept perfectly. We'll see what tonight brings....
  • Officially crawling! He's been proficiently "army crawling" for some time now, where he was basically crawling but he wasn't completely on his knees and his tummy still dragged (drug?) the floor. Well tonight it is like something clicked, cause off he went on hands and knees! Josh and I just looked at each other like we couldn't believe what we were seeing. One second he couldn't do it, and the next he looked like he'd been doing it for weeks!
  • Cruising like crazy along the furniture. Once he started pulling up, this little milestone quickly followed. He'll walk down the couch and down the coffee table. He'll also walk along behind his little pushing walker toy but we have to be right behind him cause it is really light, so one wrong move and he's on his back with the walker on top of him!
  • First injury. Clearly, again "not-so-good." Today I looked down for a split second and the next thing I knew, Noah was over by the hearth screaming his little head off. I ran to him but it took me a minute to see what had happened. Apparently he hit his brow bone on the corner of the hearth, leaving with him a nice little scratch surrounded by a big swollen bruise :( Poor guy. Immediately after his nap, we headed to Babies R Us where I purchased the hideous edge protectors. Our fireplace is looking about as lovely as Noah's eye. When I get a chance, I'll try to post pictures of both.
  • First attempt at self-feeding. Tonight when Josh and I ate dinner, and after I fed Noah his baby food dinner, we sat him in the high chair with a sippy cup, a peeled apple slice, and 2 whole wheat Ritz crackers. He went to town. He still won't drink from a cup, but he gnawed like crazy on the apple and ate about half of each cracker. Of course he then gagged on some cracker goo and proceeded to throw up onto his high chair tray. I fully expected this to happen but forgot to warn Josh, who was sufficiently grossed out and a little scared. Oh, and I had also just given Noah his antibiotic about 30 minutes before so there goes that. I called the pharmacist who said he probably threw much of it up, but I still shouldn't give him any more. Boooo.
So there you go, Noah's latest developments. Every day is an adventure around here, that's for sure. Maybe I'll even lose the last little bit of my baby weight now that he's really on the move (can it really be called baby weight when it's been almost 8 months? To make myself feel better, I'm saying yes).

We'll see what new developments tomorrow brings!

5 comments:

Katie said...

That's great that Noah loves apples and crackers! Ha! Such a cutie.

I couldn't agree more about losing my "baby weight." Most of my meals are eaten standing up or chasing Zach around! ; )

Ah...I actually sit down and eat a meal uninterrupted would be heaven!

Anonymous said...

Mandy--I am one of your blog stalkers! I love reading about Noah and seeing all of his cute pictures! He is an absolute doll! I can relate to those brown eyes and brown haired babies! I have loved reading about your baby food making, your Sonic addiction(I have one too!), your group of Moms in your Bible study--see, I AM a stalker! I will be playing Santa tomorrow when I come to your house with a gift from Wes and Kate. I will probably be there around 4:00! Sarah Frost(Kate's mom)

KBeau said...

Is the antibiodic pink? I remember when Hunter had ear infections and we were living in a rental house in Fayetteville that had hideous green carpet. Occasionally he would throw up the bubble gum pink antiboidic all over the hideous carpet. What a lovely picture.

Mar Mar said...

I don't talk to you much for a whole day and Noah turns into a child I don't even know! He's crawling, eating crackers, hurting himself and his MarMar has missed the whole turn of events. I need to see my grandson!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for leaving a comment on our website. I can not believe that the boys were born on the same day! I too love to read other people's blogs but have not found yours before. Noah is so cute! I would love to hear more about you guys because I am sure that we probably have mutual friends out there. Email me sometime at jlehrenhall@gmail.com
Take care! -Jessica