Saturday, May 15, 2010

updates all around

It seriously feels like Noah has grown up SO much in the month or so since he turned 2. Just in the past week he has shown little signs of becoming more independent. He has started putting on his own shoes and getting into his carseat on his own (of course I have to buckle him). It is so nice that I can just tell him to get his shoes on and get in the car, and there he goes! His vocabulary has really taken off too. He took his time with talking but here lately he has just really taken off. I love being able to have little conversations with him, and I REALLY love that he can easily tell me what he wants or needs most of the time. I don't so much love it that he has decided to start calling me "Mom" a lot of the time--I correct him every time! It is "Mom-MY" or "Mom-MA"! Don't grow up too fast little boy!

I am so proud of his behavior for the past 3-4 weeks or so, and just so incredibly thankful that we are going through an easy period discipline-wise. I can't speak for how he acted while we were in Destin (although, of course, the grandparents insist that he was an angel), but for the 2 weeks before we went and the week since we've been back, he has been so good and so obedient. I told Josh on the way to Destin that it would have been much easier to leave him if he'd been behaving like he was a few weeks prior to that! He has been minding me so well and when he does disobey, it doesn't take much to get him back on track. I can't even remember the last time I had to spank him, and time-out has been really rare too. Loss of privileges has really been getting through to him lately, or even just a stern voice. Thank you Lord for an easy phase! We'll see what I'm saying next week. :)

Naps have been a bit of an issue this week as he adjusts to being home again and not with the grands. They had to sit in the room with him until he fell asleep so he got used to that and wants me to do it now too. It's pretty sad when he cries and says "chair, chair" while pointing to the glider. He doesn't want to be rocked, he just wants someone to sit while he goes to sleep. For the first two days I just did it but since then I've left the room and assured him that I will be right outside. Sometimes it works and sometimes not. It's funny b/c at night he has no problem, just naps. The last two days he hasn't cried when I leave him and explain I'll be outside the door, but he hasn't gone to sleep either. After about an hour I'll go back in there and sternly tell him that it is naptime and he needs to go to sleep, and then he does! Crazy. Don't know why he doesn't just go to sleep in the first place. I may start moving his naptime a little later and see if that helps. We are hard at work on his new BIG BOY room, which includes a BIG BOY bed, so who knows what that will do to naptime. We're hoping to have him all moved in about 3 or 4 weeks from now. Earlier this week I caught him climbing out of his crib for the first time, so now I feel way rushed! He hasn't tried it again though.

As for Samuel, he's just growing and moving like crazy! I'll be 24 weeks on Monday. I read in my little pregnancy email update last week that he is as long as a sheet of paper now, which was just wild to me for some reason. Seems like just a couple weeks ago that he was just a few inches long. It is really crazy how much he is moving. For a couple weeks now, he's been moving enough where you can SEE the movement--like Josh can watch my belly and see him kick and move. I don't remember it being that way with Noah until much later! Goodness gracious I hope this boy isn't even bigger or more active than his big bro! I did have a dream the other night that he was 7 lbs 13 oz at birth. With Noah I dreamed that he was 13 lbs at birth and then he ended up being 9 lbs 7 oz, so who knows! It is extremely likely that Sam will be big at birth like his brother, and I just hope for his sake that he remains big and strong like Noah has. He needs to be able to hold his own around here! Anyway, once we get Noah all settled into his new room, we will start working on Samuel's nursery. I'm really excited! We are keeping the same bedding and furniture, but I am rearranging and doing some different things on the walls to make it his own. Stay tuned for updates on both new rooms!

No comments: