Monday, October 26, 2009

Fall Recipes

One of the MANY things that I love about fall is the yummy food. I adore all kinds of soup, and anything pumpkin! So I thought I would share a few of my favorites so far from this season. Enjoy!

Potato Soup
I'm pretty sure I shared this one last year too, but it is SOOO yummy and is worth repeating. Because I am all about using up ingredients, I made two batches this weekend--one Friday for playgroup and one Saturday when Dobbs & the Warfords came over. We discovered on Saturday that Noah loves it too!

1/2 cup onion - minced

1/2 cup celery - minced
2/3 cup flour
6 cups chicken stock/broth
4 large potatoes - peeled & cubed
1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup milk
2 cups sour cream
8 strips of bacon
fresh chives - chopped
cheddar cheese - grated

Cook bacon slowly over medium-low heat until crisp, taking care not to brown the fat. Set bacon aside, pour rendered fat in stockpot. Add onions and celery and saute until tender. Add flour and mix well. Add chicken stock and stir until all flour is dissolved. Continue to stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer. Add potatoes and let soup simmer until potatoes are tender (about 30 minutes). At this point you can use a potato masher to mash some of the potatoes, if you prefer a less chunky soup. Add heavy cream, milk, sour cream, basil, and white pepper. Let simmer for another 10 minutes until soup is hot again. Crumble bacon strips Garnish each portion of soup with bacon, chives and cheese.
Pumpkin Cupcakes
I got this one from Michelle's blog, and made just some slight modifications. These are delicious, and I didn't feel TOO bad about Noah having one since there's some nutritional value from the pumpkin. I made them for playgroup on Friday and they were a huge hit with moms and kids alike.
2 cups sugar (next time I may try Splenda for baking)
2 cups flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 eggs (again, next time I may use Egg Beaters for at least 2 of the eggs)
1 15 oz. can pure pumpkin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Heat oven to 350 degrees and place 24 paper cupcake wrappers in 2 muffin tins. Beat together eggs, oil, applesauce, pumpkin, and sugar. Stir in other ingredients until well mixed. Fill each cupcake wrapper about 3/4 full with batter. Bake for about 25 minutes or until done. Frost with cream cheese icing
once cool.

Cranberry Salsa
Oh. My. Word. This stuff is my new favorite thing, hands down. It is absolutely delicious! If you love sweet/salty stuff, you will LOVE this. It is the perfect appetizer for the whole fall season, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc. I bet it could even be canned and given as gifts if you know how to do that sort of thing (which I dont).

1 12-oz. bag fresh cranberries (or you could use frozen)
1 bunch of cilantro leaves
1 bunch of green onions, minus the tippy tops, cut in 3 inch sections
1 fresh jalepeno pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
juice of 2 limes
3/4 C sugar
pinch of salt
3/4 C Craisens, coarsely chopped

Throw everything but the Craisens in a food processor and process well. Pour into a bowl and stir in the Craisens (these could be left out, but I think they are one of the best parts). Serve with Fritos Scoops. I guess if you want to be healthy you could serve it with some type of cracker, but the Fritos are really perfect for the salty/sweet thing. I think this would also be good poured over a block of cream cheese and served with Triscuits or pita chips.




4 comments:

Jessica said...

The Cranberry salsa sounds delish! Will def have to try!

Mar Mar said...

You are making me hungry!

Eric and Leslie Warford said...

Thanks for posting these! I'm so ready to have more of the cranberry salsa. YUMMMY!!!

Scott Duncan said...

we had potato soup last night with all the toppings, delicious!!!!