Monday, November 23, 2009

19 month notes

(If Noah were a little older, he would probably want me to point out that he is 19 and a HALF months old)

I really only do big "Noah updates" when he's had well-child checkups at the doctor, but there are a few things I want to remember about him at this age.

First of all, look how big he is getting for his bed! Poor guy has no room to really move around! I am starting to think we may convert his bed before his next birthday...we'll see! First we need to get rid of the nighttime pacis, which we are going to try after Christmas. (Santa is also going to bring him a potty! Agh, he's growing up. We're not going to start hard-core potty training unless he really seems ready, but I want him to get used to the idea and hopefully he think it is REALLY cool if Santa brings it!)

He has learned how to open and climb into the dryer. Enough said.

When I was getting all the Christmas decorations out, Noah discovered some reindeer slippers that my mom got him last year. If I remember correctly, they were even too small then, and this year he can't even begin to get his feet in them. But of course, he now insists on putting his toes in them and wearing them all around the house.
Thankfully, Santa found these for him this weekend, and hopefully he'll be happy to find them in his stocking Christmas morning

He is completely obsessed with the broom. It is impossible to sweep while he's around, because he will insist on doing it himself! He even carries it around just to hold on to. (sorry for the low-quality phone picture)

Every time we get in the car, he takes off his socks and shoes, and oftentimes he just takes them off one foot and cracks up about it.

He has started "helping" me in the kitchen some. He likes it when I pull a chair up to the counter and let him stir. And of course he likes to sample what I am cooking!

His absolute favorite "chore" is helping to put up the groceries. He does such a great job of putting things in the cabinet or the fridge, or just throwing it all up on the counter. I have to tell him where everything goes of course, and if I'm not paying attention I will never know where to find all my groceries! Last week I was looking everywhere for a can of artichokes for the pasta I was cooking, and I finally found it in the door of the fridge!I love watching him learn so much every day! He is definitely at an age where independence is a huge thing to him, as you can tell by all his favorite things! (sweeping himself, cooking, putting up groceries) Ha, it kind of sounds like I am putting him to work! But really he just wants to learn how to do things for himself. Discipline is of course also a huge thing at this age, and we are slowly but surely working through it. Thankfully we're studying James Dobson next semester at Moms N More!

Oh, he's also slowly starting to talk more! Not a ton, but he is learning new words pretty often. His vocab so far consists of: uh-oh, mama, dada, ball, dog, Emma, papa, "dat?" (what/who's that), "is it?" (where is it), "nanana" (banana), "peazzz" (please), "day doo" (thank you), "u-sigh" (outside), papa, apple, "soo" (shoe), "chzzz" (cheese), "yeyi" (Ellie), yeah, "yesh" (yes), "rab rab" (rabbit), "yeyo" (hello), "set, set, set" (sit), "ya" (see ya), "ha" (hot) ...that's all I can think of so far, but I'm sure there are a few I'm missing. The Leap Frog Learning Factory DVD is also helping him learn his letters and the sounds they make, which I think has helped with the talking. When you ask him the letters (like, what does the H say?), he can make the sounds for A, B, D, F, H, M, N, O, P, S, T, W, and Z. Yay Noah!

2 comments:

Mary Virginia said...

He is just too cute, Mandy!

hannah said...

mandy, he is so cute! i love the picture of him in the carseat with his socks and shoes off one foot! hilarious! and him helping you with the groceries melted my heart.

what a wonderful little boy.