Tonight I was having a hankering for pasta, so I sort of invented some veggie spaghetti that I could make with ingredients I already had in the kitchen. It turned out really yummy so I thought I would share! I looked up several recipes online and sort of combined them all and improvised based on the ingredients I had. Noah and I both loved it (Josh was working late so he didn't join us for dinner). It is a really great meal for kids because it is tasty, fun, and really healthy!Veggie Spaghetti
1/4 C olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced (any color would work, but yellow would be best in this)
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated (this gives the sauce a kind of sweet flavor, just trust me!)
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (you could also use a few romas)
1 t oregano
1 t basil
salt and black pepper to taste
Any veggies your heart desires - I used yellow squash, mushrooms, and green bell pepper because that's what I had. It would also be great with carrots, eggplant, any color peppers, zucchini, etc)
1 package whole wheat or multigrain spaghetti
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and throw in onion, garlic and celery. Saute until the onion and celery are soft, then throw in the grated carrot and saute a minute longer. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped fresh tomatoes and spices. Simmer over low heat for at least 45 minutes. Meanwhile, chop up your veggies and saute in some olive oil in a skillet until they are just getting soft, then throw them in with the sauce for the remainder of the cooking time. The longer they cook with the sauce, the better the flavor. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions and serve the sauce on top of the noodles (or, if you prefer, stir the sauce in with all the noodles before serving. I just prefer the sauce on top of each portion)
1/4 C olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, diced (any color would work, but yellow would be best in this)
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 celery rib, finely chopped
1 carrot, peeled and grated (this gives the sauce a kind of sweet flavor, just trust me!)
1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
1 small can of tomato paste
2 medium tomatoes, chopped (you could also use a few romas)
1 t oregano
1 t basil
salt and black pepper to taste
Any veggies your heart desires - I used yellow squash, mushrooms, and green bell pepper because that's what I had. It would also be great with carrots, eggplant, any color peppers, zucchini, etc)
1 package whole wheat or multigrain spaghetti
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat and throw in onion, garlic and celery. Saute until the onion and celery are soft, then throw in the grated carrot and saute a minute longer. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped fresh tomatoes and spices. Simmer over low heat for at least 45 minutes. Meanwhile, chop up your veggies and saute in some olive oil in a skillet until they are just getting soft, then throw them in with the sauce for the remainder of the cooking time. The longer they cook with the sauce, the better the flavor. Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions and serve the sauce on top of the noodles (or, if you prefer, stir the sauce in with all the noodles before serving. I just prefer the sauce on top of each portion)
2 comments:
Look at you go, Betty Crocker;)!!! I'll definitely have to try that! Can you believe how big our boys are getting:(?!?!
Sounds yummy. I'm most impressed with how well Noah is using that fork to eat spaghetti! Maybe it's time I introduce one of those to Zane, huh? Oh...that plate, all that food, AND the fork would be all over my kitchen floor....
Post a Comment