Tuesday, September 13, 2011

firstborn

(Jacob Slaton Photography ~ jacobslaton.com)

Despite how things might appear in that picture, Noah did not turn 6 overnight. He's still 3. In fact he'll be 3 1/2 next month. Yes I believe that half birthdays are totally a real thing, and I guess I could have waited to do an update on Noah when he hits his half birthday mark, but I was thinking about it now so I'm doing it now. It seems that with all the first year monthly updates on Sam I've fallen a little behind on updating about our firstborn, but there is plenty that I want to remember about him at this stage. 

First, a little story. I debated on whether I really wanted to share this but it's pretty funny and definitely something that I'll always remember. You see, at Sam's birthday party Noah was acting like a bit of a stinker, as we say around here. He was just moody and not being 100% sweet to his cousins or anyone for that matter. When the time came to sing Happy Birthday to Sam and watch him eat his cake, Noah had just decided that he wanted to go upstairs to play and he was NOT happy that we told him no. So he sat on the bottom stair and refused to come in the room to sing. I just let him sulk because I refused to let Sam's moment be tainted by his stinker brother. A few minutes passed and we were all just watching Sam eat his cake when things got quiet for a moment and suddenly we could all hear Noah in the next room, singing: "Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday to me, Happy Birthday dear Nooooaaahhh, Happy Birthday to me." Um, wow. Jealous much? 

So yeah, if I'm being honest about Noah at this age, I do have to point out that he can be a stinker at times. I think the moodiness, attitude, and defiance of age 3 really took me by surprise. I don't know why I was really surprised because I had multiple friends with slightly older kids tell me that age 3 is so much more difficult than age 2. But thankfully those friends and other resources have also pointed out that things tend to get a little bit better as they hit 3 1/2 and definitely by age 4, and I can say that I see us starting to turn a corner. The 3-year-old attitude still rears it's ugly head, but he's starting to show some more restraint and let his sweet side shine through more and more. 

(Jacob Slaton Photography ~ jacobslaton.com)

When it comes down to it, he IS just the sweetest thing. His sweet moments far outnumber the stinker moments and always have. Lately he randomly hugs me and says I Love You at least 5 times a day, and it melts my heart every single time. He has also started opening my car door for me! I never taught him or asked him to do that, so it's clearly more about the simple "fun" of opening a car door than some preschool form of chivalry, but you better believe I'm encouraging it and telling him how kind it is to do that for a lady! :) 

He is a social butterfly. Everywhere we go, he wants to know who else is going to be there. If I say "Noah, we're going to go to the playground today" he immediately says "with my friends!?!" I have to agree with him that life is more fun with friends, so I will usually invite a friend or two along when we're going to do something. If no one can make it or I just decide it should be a Mommy/Noah/Sam day he inevitably just finds another kid at the playground (or wherever) to make friends with and then spends the rest of the day talking about "my new friend". That's fine, I'm all about new friends!

(Jacob Slaton Photography ~ jacobslaton.com)

I'm so thankful that he has a built-in buddy right here at home. I mentioned in Sam's latest update that Noah has been doing better and better with Sam lately. He's always been an amazing and loving big brother, but when Sam became mobile and started getting into his stuff, I think it was a bit of a shock to his system and he didn't handle it so well! He's been doing better lately, and the older that Sam gets I can really see that these two are going to be the best buddies and playmates.

(Jacob Slaton Photography ~ jacobslaton.com)

Noah always looks out for his baby brother, and loves giving him kisses on the top of his head. He really is so loving. Unless Sam is putting something of Noah's in his mouth--in that case, look out! :) Ha

(Jacob Slaton Photography ~ jacobslaton.com)

This kid is a ball of energy and keeps me laughing. He wakes up (bright and early!) ready to conquer the day. He does best when we have planned activities or somewhere to go. School days, church days, bible study days, playdate days--those are his kind of days! Thankfully we stay pretty busy, so he stays pretty happy. He still goes to his golf class on Saturdays and continues to excel. His teacher has dubbed him "the next Bubba Watson" (apparently some good left-handed golfer, I'm told. ha) All I know is, he loves it! But he also loves pretty much any sport. Right now he's really into football since that has started back up, and we also play a daily game of baseball in the backyard. Basketball is right up there too, and he talks about soccer a ton even though he's never really played it or seen a game. 

Those are really the big points I want to remember about my Noah at almost 3 1/2. Some little details:
- he sleeps with his lamp on, with approximately 12 stuffed animals, 15 books, and 7 Hot Wheels to cuddle up with - he still takes a nap every afternoon for at least 2 hours - he loves to sing and dance - he knows all his letters, both capital and lowercase, and the sounds that they all make - he can spell and write Noah, Mom, and Dad. He can spell Sam but can't write S's. He can write almost all of his letters and writes lots of words if you just tell him how to spell them - he's in love with Cars and his favorite is Francesco - his favorite toy right now is his train table/trains - he loves his shows, especially Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and Caillou - he's verrry particular about his shoes and always wants to make sure they match his clothes. In his mind, matching means the exact same color - his favorite foods are Nutrigrain waffles, bananas, macaroni, burgers, and all fruit - his favorite colors are blue and orange - he wears a size 11 shoe. ELEVEN. As in, from the "youth" section. Sheesh.

A couple more recent memories, because I don't feel like doing separate blog posts about them

Josh took him to the Razorback game on Saturday with my parents, and from what I hear he was in Hog Heaven. Josh & my mom sent me several pictures throughout the game




Yesterday we found a turtle in the backyard and I decided it could be Noah's pet for the day. Noah spent practically the entire day in the backyard watching and talking to Mr. Turtle. That is what he named it, although he couldn't quite decide whether it was a boy or a girl. He tried to feed Mr. Turtle leaves, crackers, and carrots, refilled his water several times, and even read him a book. When it came time to let Mr. Turtle go last night, Noah was bordering on distraught. Josh talked him into "letting him out of the box to play with him in the yard" and then Mr. Turtle took things into his own hands from there :) We marked his back with an "N" so if he ever comes back, we will know it's him.






5 comments:

Linds said...

ummm, are Noah and Brayden twins born a year apart?! Brayden does some of the exact same stuff! Too bad we don't live closer!

Jamie Keathley said...

I love the game pictures!! He is too cute!

Mimi said...

He really is a special boy. Both boys are special. Isn't it wonderful how the Lord makes them so different and so alike too. We are so blessed to have Noah and Sam . . .
I loved your post.

kate said...

I loved reading this post. Thanks for sharing all about Noah at 3 1/2!

Scott Duncan said...

Someone really needs to pressure wash Mom and Dad's front steps.