Sunday, September 09, 2012

sam's monster bash bday party


On Saturday we celebrated Sam's 2nd birthday with a "Monster Bash" in our backyard. It was a great time for the birthday boy and all his buddies! We were incredibly blessed with wonderful weather. Almost all week it was back in the 100s around here, even the day before the party. Friday night/early Saturday morning we had major rain, but thankfully the rain ended several hours before the party and it brought much cooler weather! Temps were in the 70s at party time--perfect weather for a backyard bash!


A few of the various invitations. Well, just the monsters varied. I found several different kinds of felt monster stickers on clearance at Michael's but couldn't find many of the same kind.


Food table. We had hot dogs, chips, and cupcakes. I didn't feel like getting all elaborate with the food, and I think everyone was totally fine with the simple spread! As for decor, I love that you can throw googly eyes on anything and call it a monster. Paper lanterns, cupcakes, goody bags, whatever! I liked how the gray chevron mixed in with the bright blue, green, and orange. 



 

I love that Josh is so handy!! He built this monster beanbag toss game after I saw something similar online, and I painted it. Note so self: next time you are painting unfinished plywood, don't use washable paint! I gave up after 3 coats and just let the wood grain show through :)



The monster feet stilts were quite entertaining! I thought we might have races or something, but the kids were a little too young to take it that far. Ellie was a pro, though!



Fun times with the photo frame and monster mouths! I wish I had gotten a picture of all the little party-goers!


Doing a little art on the fence.


Look who came in town just for Sam's bday! Or...maybe they just happened to be here anyway, but aren't we happy it worked out that way! ;) Sweet Ada and Mary Win, two girls on the approved future girlfriends list.


Sweet little buddies Brooks and Bennett.


Blowing some bubbles with his pal Davis.


Two of the cutie pie Nelson girls. Other potential gf's.
And the Spenst girlies! My boys don't know how lucky they are with all these pretty ladies around. 





Sam was quite a fan of his cupcake. I saw so many cute monster cupcake ideas online, but I decided to go with the super simple "throw candy eyeballs onto cupcakes from the Sam's bakery" route. I think it worked just fine :)

Presents! Sam was blessed with lots of fun things, which is so nice because most of our toys originally belonged to Noah. Now if we could only make our stubborn firstborn understand that these new items belong to his brother!
Sam sent his guests home with a goody bag of candy & monster stickers, and a monster mouth of their very own. 

What a wonderful day celebrating our favorite 2-year-old! Thank you to all the friends and family who came out to celebrate with him! 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for inviting us!! My boys had a blast! Everything was so cute. We love Sam!!

Boonies in the Boonies said...

Cute, cute, cute! Love it all! And your dreamy back yard was the perfect local!