Friday, March 27, 2009

The Latest on Noah

Check it out...that is Noah with a cup of milk in that picture!! That's right, no more bottles at our house. HOORAY! Although Monday and Tuesday were rough, we had a breakthrough on Wednesday and he's been doing great ever since. I don't think he even misses the bottle at all. As far as the milk part, we are actually easing him into milk by mixing it with formula. We started out with mostly formula and a little milk, then for the past 2 days he's had 1/2 formula 1/2 milk and we'll continue on that path until it is all milk, probably by early next week. He drinks a cup of it at breakfast, lunch, with a late afternoon snack, and before bathtime at night (with dinner he drinks water). He doesn't drink the same amount each time (sometimes just a few ounces probably), but overall he is getting a good amount each day.

I've also forgotten to mention on the last 2 monthly posts that he only takes a paci in bed now. I wanted him to do that by the time he turned 1, and I thought it was going to be a lot harder than it was so I started working on it early. Well it turns out he didn't miss that either, and 2 days after we started trying he was done with it! He's so cute, he loves to throw his paci into his bed when I pick him up in the morning and after naps. Now I'm sure that taking it away even in bed will be a completely different story, but I am not thinking that far ahead yet!

In other news, he currently has his 5th ear infection of the past 2 1/2 months! Ugh. We saw Dr. Feelbetter today and Noah had to get a big mean shot (actually, 2 shots). Tomorrow morning we go back for more. Oral antibiotics just don't work for him--we've tried 5 different kinds! The doctor said that if the shots don't work, he will be sending him to get tubes. The good news is that Noah handles ear infections really well--he still eats & sleeps great when he has them. He also doesn't run fever with them, and all of that makes it really hard to know when he has one. Basically a little extra fussiness and some tugging on the ears are my only clue. I am concerned that he's going to end up with permanent damage since it is hard to know when they're infected, so although the thought of tubes scares me a little it would also be a bit of relief. Right now I feel like I am always following him around watching to see if he tugs his ears!

Ok, this post has turned out way longer than I intended. I just wanted to give an update on my little man! I CAN'T believe we'll be celebrating his birthday two weeks from today!!!

4 comments:

Just Me said...

Yay! Milk in a cup. :D I know what a big deal that is!!

I was scared to get tubes for my little guy too. He didn't have infections but lots of fluid. I waited until his 2nd birthday and finally did it.

It was a very quick (like 5 minutes) procedure and really no recovery. The only downside is having to put cotton in his ears during bath time.

In our case, I was glad I did it though because our little boy was having speech delays because of the fluid and not being able to hear clearly (which we didn't know until after we did tubes).

Just wanted to give you a positive story if you did decide to do it! Hopefully his ears will clear up and you won't need to do anything!

Anonymous said...

That is a great strategy for giving up the bottles by adding formula to the milk. We were going to start giving him some whole milk this weekend and am going to try that. Hope that you guys have a good weekend!

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear about Noah's ears. Andrew had a lot of ear infections and we ended up having to get tubes. It was worse on me then it was on him. I noticed Andrew's speech improved almost immediately after getting the tubes. We don't have to put anything in his ears during bathtime, because the gestation (sp?) tubes were still so small that the water wouldn't get to his tubes. I have noticed that when he does get congested his ears will drain and it's pretty gross, but you can see all the fluid that was getting trapped behind his ears. The ENT said that it's totally normal, because I called in complete panic! I will say, since the tubes he hasn't been nearly as sick as he was before and he doesn't go around tugging on his sweet little ears.
Also, are the shots rocephin (sp)? Those are what we got before we were referred to the ENT. Has he taken Augmenton? That's supposed to be the "power" antibiotic as my pediatrician says, but it didn't work on Andrew. Usually, if the Augmention and shots don't work then tubes are the next option. I'd say go for it, because the longer you delay it the farther behind their speech can get (I talked to an Occupational Therapist and she said do it early if you have to do it because of that).
Sorry to bombard you with tube info, but I feel like it is something a actually know about since we just did it in Dec.!

Mar Mar said...

As you know, your brother Matt had one set of tubes and you had one or two. (I lost count) Scott was the winner with three sets. They do help until they fall out. And getting them is no big deal. He will feel better, so it's worth it.

Mom