Tuesday, December 13, 2011

the days in between

I mentioned that I'm embracing the busyness of this season, but I'm also fully embracing the calm on those rare days in between--in between parties, shopping, playdates, events, etc. We've had a couple nice days lately when I've started up a fire, refused to take off anyone's jammie's, and just snuggled up & hunkered down with my boys.

Last week we had such a day. I turned on The Grinch and cuddled on the couch with Noah under our favorite blanket. Sam would join us from time to time when he wanted a break from pulling every toy out of the cabinet. At one point Noah looked right up at me with the sweetest smile and said "This is such a good morning, Mommy." I'm the first to admit that, usually when I turn on a movie that's when I get to work--dishes, laundry, potty-scrubbing, cooking. I take advantage of Noah's stillness and get things done. But this particular day I simply sat down and watched a movie with my boy. Whyyyy do I not do that more often?? I think we mommies are always looking for an opportunity to "get things done" and we miss out on some special opportunities to just be with our kids. I'm trying to learn this lesson. So you know what we did after The Grinch? We watched Elf. And then we made Christmas cookies. And colored. And had tickle fights with Sam. It was a great day.

Yesterday was a full day at home, too. Once again we didn't change out of our pajamas. In fact, I bathed the boys right before Josh got home and just put them in fresh pajamas. While I cooked dinner, Noah worked on this little project I found on Pinterest--a length Christmas tree. I loved it because it required very little work on my part (just cutting the strips), he needed no help completing it, he got to use glue which is his favorite thing, and he had to think a little bit to do it. While I chopped and stirred we talked about shortest and longest, etc. Good little project.

(Don't worry, Sam wasn't neglected. He was right at my feet, taking all the pots & pans out of their cabinets, matching lids & making music)


Today had more activity but it was nice all the same. I had a Cookie Exchange with my Bloom small group and at the last minute I decided to send Sam to school for the morning and just take Noah with me. We don't get a ton of one-on-one time together so it was a good opportunity. We had a donut breakfast date, went to Target for Noah to pick out his Christmas gift to Sam, and then went to the library to read and check out new books. Then of course we went to the Cookie Exchange! It was all great!


Funny boy spotted this Angry Birds hat on a random aisle at Target and just had to put it on. I have no idea why he posed like this, but it made me smile. 

Sam didn't take the best or longest nap today so we got to have a bit of one-on-one time this afternoon while Noah slept. Love my wee little cutie pie.

Tonight after dinner we drove around and looked at Christmas lights. I've said it before and I'll say it a million more times, these are the days. The busy days and the days in between. All of them. 

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

4 comments:

Maria said...

Such a great post! It looks like Noah had a great time and enjoyed the quality time.
I can't wait to do fun activities and watch movies with my little guy. Then again, I feel like time is passing by so fast! I need to treasure every moment with him- even if it involves playing with pots and pans and scattering toys everywhere! These are the (awesome) days!

Jill said...

Love lazy days! and I love your new blog look!

Brandi said...

Your blog header is adorbs!! I love days of hanging out in pajamas and chilling! Those days are the best!!!!

Carol said...

Cute blog change-up! And, everything does look like such fun.