Saturday, December 10, 2011

in full swing

As of this weekend I feel like Christmas is definitely in FULL swing! Today was a day full of holiday activity, and for the next two weeks it will be one thing after another. I have a long list of things to do--teacher gifts to finish, small group treats to make, playgroup plans to finalize, stockings to stuff, shopping to complete, cookies to bake, and on and on. It is beyond easy to get stressed out this time of year but right now I am trying to remind myself that in the blink of an eye I am going to have two teenagers with no school Christmas parties, no desire to go to look at Christmas lights, and no interest in where Gus the Elf is hiding that particular day. And they might be a little embarrassed if I sit them on Santa's knee when they are 14 and 16. So, I choose to soak up the busy-ness & chaos and enjoy the magic while it lasts.

This morning we went to the country club for Santa's annual visit. Noah was thrilled as usual with his arrival by helicopter

Sam and Papa D were less impressed


After the helicopter landed, Noah was the very first kid to run say hi to Santa. He latched on for a hug and wouldn't let go! Finally Santa was able to escape on a golf cart and we went upstairs to make ornaments while Papa D held our place in line to meet Santa. Thanks, Papa D!


I love seeing daddies getting crafty :)

In the midst of crafting, Emma & Charlie decided to pin Sam down and tickle him. Bless that child, he takes everything with a grain of salt.

Our visit with Santa was a success. Neither of the boys got upset, we eventually got a smile out of Sam (captured on the professional's camera), and Noah's Christmas wish for "Cars stuff" was passed along.

After that we ate a yummy meal and played some more before heading home for naps! Thank you Mar Mar & Papa D for another fun visit with Santa! We love it every year. This afternoon I enjoyed looking back at our 2009 and 2010 visits with Santa. 2009 especially made me laugh :)

After both boys took long naps--score!--we got ready and headed out for an evening with the Warfords. It had been way too long since we saw them so it was great to catch up! We ate at Larry's Pizza, where all the kids cared about were the games and Sam was quite a handful. The we headed to the state Capitol building to check out the Christmas decor. I think we were all expecting a bit more out of the decor and ambiance--maybe we shouldn't have chickened out on our original plan to drive to Garvan Gardens in Hot Springs. However I was thankful not to be freezing cold, and actually the kids had a total blast running all around the Capitol. We did see some interesting sights, even if most of them were our fellow "tourists" ;)

Even Sam agreed that it was a bit underwhelming

Ho ho ho! If I survive this next week it will be a Christmas miracle! ;)

No comments: