Friday, March 02, 2012

one and one half

Our baby boy is 18 months old. One and a half. And still so very much a baby. Seriously I laugh all the time at how much more I baby him than I did Noah at the same age. When Noah was 18 months old I thought he was half grown. Not Sam. He is just a wee babe in my mind. I treat him more baby-ish, dress him more baby-ish, talk to him more baby-ish, everything. It's funny because he's talking a ton more than Noah at this age, which I guess should make him seem older, but nope. I think it's his wispy blond hair, big blue eyes, and sweet baby cheeks. Or maybe the fact that he's teeny tiny compared to big bro at one and a half. He's just my baby.

Love my sweet Samuel. What's he up to at 18 months? Glad you asked :)

- Weighs 23 lbs 7 oz (18%) and is 32 3/4 inches long (64%). I think it is worth noting that he is more than 5 pounds lighter than Noah at the same age. 
- Wears various sizes of clothes depending on brand, style, etc. Mostly 12-18 months in tops and pants and 18 months in one-piece outfits. Wears a size 4 diaper and a size 5 shoe.


- Not a big eater. For the most part he eats very, very little. I read that this is pretty normal at this age, but still it makes me very happy when he decides to eat. It isn't that he only likes junk, or is super picky--he just doesn't eat anything. When he does feel like eating he is a fan of most kinds of fruit, waffles, toast, Goldfish, cheese, and peanut butter sandwiches on cinnamon raisin bread. He loves Mimi's french fries. And the other night my mom made a fancy beef tenderloin and he gobbled it up.
- He does love to drink milk and water.
- I think he has like 12 to 14 teeth now. I'm a little afraid to check because he is not a fan of that and lets me know by biting down on my finger. I know that he has been teething for what seems like forever and has a few molars and eye teeth to show for it.


- He goes to bed each night at 8:00 and has been waking up at 6:30 every morning. Boooo. Why do my kids wake up so early?! Until about 6 weeks ago he slept until close to 8:00 most mornings so I don't know what happened.
- He naps every day from 12:30 until 4:00 or 4:30. I guess I can't complain TOO much about the early mornings when he naps so well.
- Sweet thing still lets me rock him before bed each night and I just soak it up. Seriously I looooove it and will keep it up as long as he lets me. Most of the time he will just lie there and cuddle with me while I rock and then he will start to squirm a little when he is ready to get in bed. When I lay him down in bed he smiles up at me and then rolls over on his left side and grabs another paci to hold onto :)


- He loves his paci. We go through phases where I try not to give it to him as often outside of bed, but poor baby just loves that thing when he is teething, and he has been teething like crazy. 
- He is a chatty boy and says a lot of words and phrases. Of course a lot of it isn't perfectly pronounced yet, but still he has a pretty big vocabulary. I don't know that I could list everything he says but the things that come to me are hi, bye, hello, no, yes, car, ball, Francesco, cow, horse, Cabo (my parents' dog), dog, Noah, mommy, daddy, Papa, Mimi, Emma, Uncle Scott, come here, outside, milk, book, shoe, sock, bath, night night, show, paci, cheese, cracker, banana, cup, more, all done, let's go, down, mine, bite, ...The other day he walked up to Josh and said "Francesco's on Noah's cup" and yesterday he said "I want a cracker" as clear as day. Also, he constantly says "ready....set....go!"


- We've been working on animal noises and identifying body parts. Probably a little late doing those--poor second child. He can point out his hair, nose, eyes, ears, mouth, hands, and belly. He makes cow, horse, dog, lion, monkey, and duck sounds.
- He loves to play with cars more than anything. He also loves, loves, loves books. That makes me so happy. He likes balls and trains, too. He likes to roughhouse with Noah but gets upset pretty easily if things get a bit too rough. Oh and this kid loves to swing!


- He exhibits the interesting combo of a total risk-taker who is very obedient and compliant. He will push limits and try to climb on anything, jump off anything, touch anything, etc, but he will almost always stop when we tell him no. Truly the exact opposite of his big bro, who is fairly cautious and risk-averse but is about as defiant as they come. I'm 100% sure that Sam has some defiance in his future as he experiences the 2's and 3's and beyond, but at this point I would say he is going to be much more compliant and easy-going than we are used to. But I think he will also keep us on our toes when it comes to his daredevil-ish tendencies.

                          
- I know everyone says their kids are the sweetest thing ever. But I have to say it: he is The.Sweetest.Thing.EVER. I know he's not perfect--he pulls hair and he throws tantrums and he says everything is "mine!" But he is just so, so, so, so sweet. He melts hearts everywhere he goes. And to me, he is still in that precious and fleeting stage where I refuse to believe he will ever intentionally do anything wrong. I know he will prove me wrong all too soon :) so I am just soaking up all this sweetness for now. 

4 comments:

kate said...

Oh, Sam is just precious! Those beautiful eyes and blond hair...I love him! Happy 18 months! And I'm very impressed with the vocabulary! Way to go!

kristin s said...

I LOVE the pics...especially the ones where he is walking. AND I loved the paragraph about him being the sweetest thing ever. :) He's precious.

Carol said...

You are right. He is that sweet. Cute pics!

Meredith & Brett Hagedorn said...

Mandy- Sam is such a beautiful adorable boy!! He's your baby & there's nothing wrong with that or treating him that way (that's how I am with my Jackson:) There're only little once!!