Wednesday, October 08, 2008

I'm It!

Jenny Beth has tagged me in a game of "blog tag". How fun! I am supposed to tell 7 quirky/random facts about myself. Here we go....

1) I have movie narcolepsy. No matter the time of day, I am pretty much incapable of staying awake during a movie at home. I try, I really do, but it just won't happen. I could be completely riveted by the movie but that doesn't make a difference. If I am settled comfortably on the couch I WILL fall asleep. I've tried sitting straight up the entire time, but I inevitably end up curled up fast asleep. The only thing that really works is to keep myself busy by folding laundry or something while I watch. I have better luck in the theaters but my narcolepsy has been known to hit me there too--The Matrix and Talledega Nights both come to mind (I don't think I missed much). Oh, and I have absolutely no problem staying awake for a night watching my favorite TV shows, it is just movies. What's up with that??

2) I am TERRIFIED of birds. Everything about them is scary to me--their claws, beaks, wings, beady little eyes.... I think people who keep birds as pets must have severe mental issues, but I guess I'm the one with the issue here huh?

3) I go to Target a minimum of 5 times a week. Josh says the people in charge of watching the security video must think I am really strange. I really don't intend to do it, I am just not good at remembering everything that I need all in one trip. I always forget something, or get home and realize I didn't know I was out of dish soap or something. Thankfully good ole Tar-Jey is right down the street.

4) I can't whistle. I truly don't understand how people do it, it seems impossible to me.

5) I have never colored or highlighted my hair. That may not seem very quirky, but I don't know many girls who can say that. It's not that I wouldn't love to have shiny colored tresses or some sassy highlights, I'm just terrified of being a victim of Hair Coloring Gone Awry. Plus I'm too cheap to keep up with it. BUT, I will admit that the summer before my 8th grade year I got super happy with a bottle of Sun-In, resulting in gorgeous orange locks. And it was just in time for my Junior High Pom portraits. I think I have successfully destroyed every copy of that picture. It completely summed up my "ugly duckling" stage--before I discovered tweezers and got my braces off, with the orange hair to top it all off.

6) I have a crippling fear of public speaking. I have never given a rehearsal dinner speech--not for either of my brothers, or any of my good friends. Not that I don't love these people, I would have just hated to ruin their Big Days by turning into a bumbling idiot with a blotchy rash covering my body, which is exactly what happens to me in any public speaking situation. Josh loves to remind me of the time I seriously almost switched schools when I found out that Communications (Speech) class was a requirement at the U of A. He also loves to tell the story of my speech in our summer Marketing Strategies class. After I finished stuttering my way through the speech that I had so diligently practiced with Josh, I asked if anyone had any questions. A football player by the name of Bam, who had not uttered a word in any previous classes, raised his hand and asked "Uh yeah, were you pretty nervous?" Thanks Bam, thanks.

7) My best friend Amy and I secretly played with our Barbies until junior high. We kept them stashed under our beds and would pull them out whenever we were together. For some unknown reason, we even decided to bring our favorite Barbie, a Hispanic doll we had so aptly named Cotchasita, to a party in high school. Somehow good ole Cotchasita ended up in a tree and that was the end of our days with her.

So there you have it, 7 quirky things about me. Now I am supposed to tag people...I choose Rachel, Candy, Lauren, Dayle, and Amy (in a desperate attempt to get her to actually put something on her blog). Have fun!

2 comments:

abbiegrace said...

Hi Mandy--I like your list. I'll have to ask JB how she knows you. Great blog.
I had a fascination with sun-in as well when I was in middle school. :-)

The Walkie Talkie said...

Mandy...Benton and I laughed and laughed over your list. You told some good stuff on yourself. Thanks for playing!