Monday, July 11, 2011

recipe roundup

I always tell myself that I'm going to take pictures of the food each week so I can post them along with the recipes, but then I almost always forget. Sorry. I did make this dinner recipe last Thursday and I do still have leftovers in the fridge, but I doubt anyone wants to see leftover pictures. I haven't made the dessert recipe lately, so that's my excuse for not having a picture of that. I'm trying to be extra good and not eat dessert at all for the next few weeks but we'll see if that lasts :)

I got this dinner recipe from my mother-in-law a few years ago, after she saw a chef making it on a local morning show. I have not found many crockpot recipes that I like, but this one is on my good list. It is tasty, easy, and makes a TON so it's great for company or for having lots of leftovers. It does reheat well, in my opinion, and we are all about leftovers at our house so that's great. This recipe uses some canned tomatoes but also has plenty of fresh ones and other fresh veggies as well. I posted this on the blog a million years ago but it's yummy and deserves a re-post.

Shrimp Creole
1 large onion
1 green bell pepper
4 stalks of celery
4 green onions
1 anaheim pepper
5 roma tomatoes
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
2 15-oz. cans of tomato sauce
1 t dried thyme (or 2 t fresh)
1 bay leaf
2 T creole or cajun seasoning (more if you want it spicier)
worchestershire sauce to taste (I use about 2 t)
2-3 cooked, chopped chicken breasts
1 lb bag of frozen, raw shrimp (peeled, tail-off)

Dice all the veggies and saute in olive oil or butter for about 5 minutes or so (til the they are starting to get soft). Place in the crockpot with crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, seasonings and chicken. Cook on high for 4-5 hours. Add the frozen shrimp about 20-30 minutes before you are serving. Serve over brown rice. 
(a few notes: I always cook my chicken in the crockpot the morning that I am making this. I sprinkle it with some of the cajun seasoning and cook it in there on high until it is done and shreds easily. Also, you could use cooked frozen shrimp instead of raw, just throw it in about 10 minutes before serving instead of 30 minutes before). 

This dessert is one of my all-time favorites. I invented it by combining a few recipes. It is even better a day or two after you make it, when it's been in the fridge for awhile just soaking :) Mmmm.It's basically like the old elementary school favorite, "dirt pudding", but you can feel a little more grown-up while eating it.  


Oreo Chocolate Pudding Dessert
36 Oreos, crushed finely in food processor
½ stick butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese
¼ C sugar
2 T milk
1 container of Cool Whip
2 small boxes chocolate pudding
3 ½ C cold milk
Combine Oreos and butter, press into the bottom of a 9x13 and stick in the freezer for 15-20 minutes. Meanwhile, mix cream cheese, sugar and milk in electric mixer until smooth. Fold in ½ of the Cool Whip. Spread this over the Oreo crust and refrigerate 30 minutes. Meanwhile, prepare pudding using 3 ½ C milk. Spread this over the cream cheese layer. Refrigerate, then top with remaining Cool Whip. 

No comments: