Saturday, January 03, 2009

Change


My baby boy is growing and changing in various and random ways lately, he almost seems like a different kid than he was 2 weeks ago. He has enough hair now that we've started using real baby shampoo instead of just scrubbing his head with baby wash. He has started standing on his own some, for a few seconds at a time. Tonight he even took a step without holding someone's hand, although I think that was a fluke. He sprouted two more teeth to ring in the new year. He dances when he hears music. He waves "hi" and "bye" constantly. He's learned how to open drawers and cabinets (not the greatest thing). He started eating meat (chicken) and is doing better and better with finger foods.

Everyone told me, as people tell all expectant parents, that life would completely change when Noah got here. It seems like kind of an obvious thing to tell someone, and I was prepared for things to be completely different. What I didn't think about and wasn't prepared for, was the fact that life would be constantly changing from here on out. It is not like the baby gets here, and that's your new life that you will quickly get used to. Nope, cause as soon as you get used to things they go and change up again. Life with him crawling, standing and cruising is entirely different than life when he was immobile. Life with him eating solid foods is nothing like life when he only took bottles. I can't really remember too much about life before he slept through the night (which is probably for the best if I ever hope to have the desire for another baby...)

I'm starting to realize that the moment Noah was born, our life became a constant state of change and it will remain that way forever. I can only imagine that when he is 18 months old things will be much different than they are at 8 months. When he becomes a big brother things will certainly be different than they are with him as an only child. When he goes to kindergarten it won't be the same as having him here with me all day. Won't his high school years be a new experience than junior high? What about when he leaves for college??

The whole thing makes me a little tired to think about, but also excited at the same time. As he grows and changes every day, a part of me wants to scream "STOP!" and freeze him just the way he is now. But then another part of me loves to sit back and watch the changes take place, watch my baby slowly become more and more of a little boy. It is really a strange feeling to miss the Newborn Noah and also look forward to what the Toddler Noah will be like. So now, and for the next 18+ years, I will just do my best to enjoy every day and every moment, not dwelling in the past or yearning for the future.

3 comments:

Lindsey Cobb said...

Wow! This is all so true! Presley's 3 years have flown by and Chase's months are going faster than I want them to. Right now, I agree with the stopping time somedays, but most days I'm ready for the next day to come. When I look back, it makes me sad to think that those days are gone, but I know something new is just around the corner. Noah is so precious! I love seeing his pictures.

Anonymous said...

Whenever I read your blog, it is like Charlie and Noah are long lost twins. They are always doing exactly the same thing! I have been reflecting the same way that you have too. It is going by way to fast!

Mar Mar said...

And the changes won't stop at 18. They change at 27, too. The good thing is that most changes are good changes, and you love them more and more with each one.

Mom