Tuesday, May 31, 2011

an exercise in thankfulness

"Give thanks in all things, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." - 1 Thessalonians 5:18

Whenever I'm going through a bit of a difficult time, I have a tendency to moan and complain and get all woe-is-me-ish. Our little fam kind of has a lot going on right now and I'm tempted to type out a list of all my complaints, grumblings, and worries. But that's pretty annoying and it certainly doesn't make my heart any happier, so instead I'm going to type up a little list of things that do currently make my heart happy. Without further ado, my thankful list (in no particular order):
- I'm thankful for pain pills. And I'm thankful that I haven't had to take any for 2 days now.
- I'm thankful for friends and neighbors who have loved on our family by bringing us some yummy meals.
- I'm thankful for Josh, for allll that he's done in the past week--taking care of me, the boys, and the household all during a crazy week at work when he was at the office past midnight several nights.
- I'm thankful for our families. For my mom, who drove straight home after 2 days in Florida the day I had my surgery and slept on a loveseat in my hospital room that night, and has taken care of me and the boys ever since. For Josh's parents who dropped everything and came to watch the boys the night I went to the ER, and kept them again the next night too. For my dad who sat with me at the hospital before my surgery (even if he did make fun of me in my drugged-up state ;) ) For Micah and Kelsey for watching the boys all.day.long. the day of my surgery, and Melissa for keeping them that evening. For my brothers, brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law for always checking in and offering to help. For my Mama Dot for driving in town to help over the weekend.
- I'm thankful for DVR so I can catch up on all the mindless entertainment I missed while on vacation and in the hospital.
- I'm thankful for that vacation that now seems like it was months ago.
- I'm thankful that I have a parents-only vacation to look forward to at the end of the summer.
- I'm thankful that I have a wonderful OB and that she was with me throughout the whole surgery process, even once it became clear that she didn't have to be there, medically. (I'm especially thankful for this cause I'm not so thankful for a grumpy surgeon)
- I'm thankful for happy surprises like flowers on my doorstep from Josh's parents and grandparents, a much-needed Sonic drink from Tracy, yummy muffins from Vanessa, and a little "feel better" spending money from Mama Dot.
- I'm thankful for the current trend of vintagey high-waisted bikini bottoms and one-pieces, since my scarred mid-section can't see the light of day this summer.
- I'm thankful that the Internet makes retail therapy possible even when I'm stuck at home recovering from surgery and taking care of a poor boy who possibly has mono.
- I'm thankful for "gradual tanning lotion", for softening the blow of the post-vacation fading tan.
- I'm thankful for my two little stinkers, who can make me smile no matter the circumstance (for example, last Tuesday as I sat in terrible pain and debating my first un-scheduled trip to the doctor in 5 years, Noah suddenly disappeared into the kitchen where I heard him rustling around in the fridge. He then walked up to my chair, handed me an ice-cold Diet Coke and said "here Mommy, I brought you a coke to make your tummy feel better." I love it that he knows me so well.)










- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

2 comments:

Morgan Smith said...

such a great post. i loved every sentence. the post tanning lotion especially:) hope you have an easier weekend and an even easier week, friend.

Jill said...

I've been thinking about you! You are very blessed but still hoping for a non-eventful week ahead :)